Saturday, October 18, 2014

DayQuil

I don't know how to spell DayQuil and I'm too lazy to look it up.

For my readers' information playing a concert while on DayQuil can be quite exciting.

For the last TWO weeks I have been telling my students that they need to come to THIS concert!  This one in particular because we were playing Shostakovich and it is one of my all time favorite pieces! I first discovered this piece in a music history class and I even told my students all about it, and showed them some of a recording/video of the piece. I love music history!

 The concert was so exhilarating!  Besides Shosty, we played Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 which is one of my favorite piano concertos that my brother in law played on a CD for me once. Thanks Jim!  (Go listen to it on Youtube while at work or something.)  Basically, this was a dream programmed concert in my opinion!!  One of my college colleagues plays in the symphony with me and we were laughing but were a little sad because traditionally at college after a concert, the music students get together to talk to the conductor, each other, laugh, talk about silly things that happened while playing and then go and eat some ice cream together because the ice cream shop is close. Hmm....smart planning on the ice cream shops part!  It doesn't work like that here. The conductor disappears and everyone goes home.  What are you supposed to do with all your energy and feeling of general epic awesomeness???

Oh, back to my students... I even offered them double extra credit for attending.  Oh, their faces!  "DOUBLE EXTRA Credit??  Are you serious??  Miss Helm, nobody gives DOUBLE extra credit."   Well small child, I do when it is imperatively important and will change your life forever,  and I REALLY want to you to go  But I don't tell them its only 10 points.  See, you don't tell them that I get to pick the number to double :).
  Even though my Dayquil over alert, yet slightly slow stupor made me see the words arco and not pizz. and I may or may not have played in a rest (my stand partner had a grand time giggling about both of these.. sad face)  Stupid DayQuil that I love because it makes me feel happy... and able to play because my drippy nose stays mostly under control!

Guess how many of my beloved wonderful students came! Out of the 7 that promised me with adoring faces, flowers and chocolate, I had one. ONE!  ONE measly student!  Oh man, I was livid.  I even came to this concert with a drippy nose, and they can't come??? AND, she didn't even bring me chocolate or flowers!

The whole way home...mufg gurgle *grinding teeth noises* aearaerg..stupid kids afaerge nagrebstarg... great concert opportunity.....mmreghha... I have failed them..argdfgni aaerhb!

However, on the drive home I came up with a brilliant plan of attack for next time!! Get this, I will just stick in a 50 point zero in the grade book so they all think they are failing and tell them if they want those points they will go to this concert and  Bam! Their grades will go up.... Brilliant!  Genius!  I texted this brilliant plan to a fellow teacher friend and she kindly told me that my idea while brilliant, was most likely was not legal and to go bed now.  I listened to her sage advice, took my NyQuil and went to bed.


Here, watch this video, maybe then you will understand why I LOVE this, or you won't and that's fine.  I am only posting part 1. You can watch the rest on your own time.

2 comments:

helmhq said...

Dad wants to know if the kids had to pay to hear... That could be a problem especially since they need their families to bring them.

I'm glad you got to play such wonderful music. And we really wish we could have been there to share your "high"!

Unknown said...

dang. I want to hear you play in the rests!!

loves from texas